New horror story Dark HOUSE







DARK HOUSE



The auto breaks. Its engine makes a loud bang, then sputters as steel rips into metal. The noise reminds me of my father’s deathbed cough. I let off the gasoline and the motor shuts down. I coast in neutral, ease the auto onto the narrow filth shoulder and stop.

“Damn it to hell.”

I’d been speeding, pushing my ancient car thru the shadows by way of Becker Lake, the place the place the rich conceal their weekend houses. The avenue is constantly smooth, each crack and pothole straight away patched and filled. A dark, burnt oil scent emanates from the car’s hood, poisoning the easy scent of woods. My jogging shoes crunch through gravel as I walk. A glow of house lights shines via the timber and, when I find a driveway, I head toward the light.

It’s a big white colonial; no curtains or safety bars. I see her honestly thru the kitchen window, a slim lady with dark blonde hair. She’s pulling a tray of cookies from the oven. She senses me, I guess, due to the fact she turns and peers through the glass. A quizzical look crosses her features. I wave and offer a smile. She meets me at the door.

“You’re the man who drives the Mustang, right?”

“Yeah,” I say. “It just broke down on me, too.”

She holds the door open. The scent of baked cookies wafts out to welcome me. My stomach churns for one as I step inside. Cookies are everywhere; plates of them cowl the counters and the kitchen table. I glance thru the doorway and see a big mound piled on top the dinning room table.

“I like to bake,” she says and her hand slips to my arm, touches me above my elbow. All at once I see my existence with this girl, laughing in this kitchen, long strolls via the timber together, holding arms and kissing at the water’s edge… two It’s a lifetime in of one feminine touch. She smiles. It radiates. My knees buckle a little.

“So what do you do, Mustang guy?”

“I’m a writer,” I say. “I’m finishing my next novel now.” I like the smooth tone of my voice. I sound positive of myself, even cocky. I capture the seem of my palms then, association and muscular. My stomach, I see, has no bulge. I run one hand through my hair and find it lengthy and, most likely, a boyish mess.

I’m dreaming. My idea seizes that thought; I am dreaming.

Then a man’s yell tears thru the stillness outside. “Ou taah aaaah merr,” he says. “Ou et aahh aaaa merr ow!”

The girl simply smiles at me, unalarmed.

“My ex,” she says. “He lost one leg in the struggle and each and every bit of his frequent sense went with it. Don’t fear about him. ”

Immediately, I envision a one-legged man, limping via the woods on a robotic prosthetic, spying on her from in the back of an oak tree. The picture of a crazy-eyed stalker angered me. Someone had to shield a woman like her from a man like that.

“Pay no interest to him.”

The room starts offevolved to ripple, as if the walls are turning to liquid. Two youth enter from the dinning room; a boy in shorts, dark haired like me, and a lady in a summer season dress, a baby version of the mother.

“My babies,” she says. “Do you have kids?”

“Someday I will,” I say.

The total room shudders.

“Next time graph to continue to be awhile.”

I woke up in my clothes, lengthy sleeves nevertheless buttoned tight round my wrists. The oppressive darkness of my condo surrounded me. I slid off my couch, limped stiff-legged to the balcony and smoked a cigarette. September’s moist air despatched shivers crawling down my spine. The dream’s images, shards of my previous stacked into nonsense, caught in my head.

The Mustang – the first auto I’d ever owned. I’d labored two jobs to buy that relic; ticket ripper at the Marion Theater and burger flipper at Hardee’s. My dad made me earn each and every dollar. “A boy’s first vehicle ought to be all his own,” he’d said. We’d called it, “Ryan’s Red Wreck.”

Becker Lake – the closing place I’d spent great time with my dad. We hadn’t owned a house there. Poor humans solely rented. I remembered the boat oars in his meaty fingers as he propelled us across the water’s flat surface. I noticed the everlasting engine oil beneath his nails as he uncoiled the anchor. By then I’d hated the constant grime on him. “I sure would love to very own a house on a lake like this,” he’d stated and coughed into one fist, the lung most cancers already bristling in his chest.

It was once a precise dream, I decided, in particular the girl. The doctor advised me that the medicine ought to set off vivid dreaming. I’d been anticipating nightmares, though. If this was once all it ought to do to me I didn’t idea at all. I slammed the balcony door, stripped to my boxers and left the clothes on the floor. My belly sagged over my drawers, a growing ball of tender fat. The girl from my dream wouldn’t appear twice at me in this life. I pictured her, the curves of her hips, her luxurious hair…

A lone candle’s tiny flame sends lightning round her bedroom. We claw at each other, two bodies merging under white sheets. The flashes of mild blind me. In the whole darkness I hear her moan. Then, in a low and breathless whisper, she adds, “Ah, baby.” It almost makes me cry, the way she calls me baby.

She slides off of me. My vision returns. I eye her alabaster body, then roll onto my aspect and pull her shut so I can keep her a little longer.

“I’m falling for you hard,” I say.

The words sound loud, like thunder.

She turns to me and smiles. Again, it radiates.

Then I hear him screaming again, the man in the woods. His guttural yells penetrate the partitions like a sudden blast of winter. “Ou taah aaaah merr. Ou et aahh aaaa merr ow!”

“He’s absolutely nuts-o tonight,” she says and chuckles.

“We have to do something about him,” I tell her.

Her tender lips fall to mine and in that kiss a single moment stretches to what feels like decades.



“Nice kicks.” Larry entered my dice with a customer’s file, stepping over my fitness center bag and running shoes. “Are they new?”

“I offered them final year,” I said.

“I read someplace that they pack greater science into a pair of contemporary walking footwear than they did the first astronaut suits. It’s the identical artificial materials.” He picked up one of the red-and-black shoes. “That’s why they’re so lightweight.”

I took my smartphone headset off my head and fiddled with it. “Interesting.”

“These are new. You put any miles on them at all?”

“Did you want something?”

“Yeah, actually, I have to speak to you about this quote due to the fact you absolutely screwed it up. It’s a mess.”

The entire time he lectured me I notion about fishing with my dad, the way the boat rocked underneath us, the feel of moist air on my arms, the bloodless in opposition to my seat and my father’s peaceful gaze between coughing jags. When Larry shut up I nodded. “Okay.”

“…So you truly have to double-check your work earlier than you click on submit.”

“Got it.”

By the give up of the day my head throbbed and I skipped running. I drove domestic in the dark, glad it was Friday. Inside my apartment, I dropped the footwear next to my front door. Their soles were black as roofing tar. Not one speck of road dirt or mud had tainted them since I sold them with a deposit card. How pathetic.

I washed my face in the bathroom. Then I opened a small brown bottle, shook out one pale blue pill and swallowed it with tap water. I hoped it sent me lower back to Becker Lake. Then I huddled upon my couch.

My writing room is small and stuffed with books. I spend the morning at my desk, drinking green tea and writing. Framed covers of my preceding works embellish the walls, seven novels, all of them have a gold bestseller seal in the decrease right corner.

I’m dreaming again.

And in this dream I’m a bestselling novelist – awesome.

I assume about having a cigarette, but dream-me doesn’t have any ashtrays around. This life holds too lots to stay for, I guess. I go away the office, pad thru the historic house in my socks, admiring ancient wooden molding and paneling. The residence fits me like a broken-in pair of jeans. I locate the grasp bedroom. A image of me and the female lays on the nightstand. It must be her handwriting on the back, Ryan and Miranda, it says.

I don a sweatshirt, cinch up my purple and black shoes and head outside. The screen door bangs shut at the back of me and I spoil into a jog. I start breathing deep, however I keep my wind. My chest expands; my lungs experience plump and full of oxygen. I run along the waters edge, then cut via a patch of forest and onto the asphalt road. I walk to cool down, then stroll to her house. She’s sitting on the porch below the avenue address numbers, 667.

“I was once hoping you’d come by today.”

I hurry up the steps. Her playful grin makes my coronary heart accelerate extra than the run did. She stands up and I wrap my arms around her.

I woke up numb. A haze of morning light filled the dwelling room. For a second I concept I’d slept through the alarm, then I realized it was once Saturday. I obtained off the couch, stiff muscle tissue resisting movement. I headed for the rest room and something caught my eye. It used to be not movement, but the attention that some thing had changed. My walking shoes; they had been exactly the place I’d left them, but they had been no longer new. The red-and-black material had faded. The soles had worn down and turned grey. I poked at one with my foot, felt bloodless in opposition to my toes. Then I knelt down. A slow modern of electricity vibrated inside me. I snatched them off the floor. The footwear have been damp. The waffle fashioned tread used to be heavy with brown sand.


On Saturday afternoon, I take the little female fishing. Our wooden rowboat creaks and sways on mild waves. She sits throughout from me, her wise fingers baiting a hook. “Good job.” She beams returned at me, eyes bright. She’s my favorite, I know, however I remind myself that I mustn’t forget about the boy. He loves baseball and, on Sunday, we toss a sweat-stained ball back and forth in the backyard. I throw it high, making him run to get beneath it. Each throw pops into his glove, the sound of a appropriate catch. He hurls it back, laughing, thrilled with himself. I’m delighted with his laugh. He’s my favorite, too, I guess. Miranda joins me.

“Thanks for spending time with them,” she says. “They genuinely suppose you’re something.”

“What about you?”

“Oh, I guess they’re right,” she says.

That evening, after dinner, the four of us pile onto the sofa and watch a kid-movie, something with animated creatures I’d never heard of. The girl likes it. The boy makes exciting of it. A plate of Snickerdoodle cookies two feet high sits on the coffee table. We stuff ourselves with them, devouring the uneven circles and licking cinnamon sugar off our fingers. My mouth goes dry. Then, as the children are snoozing off on the floor, the screaming begins.

“Ou taah aaaah merr.”

The kids – my kids – raise their heads and seem at us, teary eyed. Miranda scoops them up, one on every knee. I stand. Then I pace lower back and forth.

“Ou taah aaaah merr. Ou et aahh aaaa merr ow!”

“He’s shut to the house.”

“No,” she says. “He never comes out of the trees.”

The window shatters. The crash of breaking glass makes us duck. Miranda clutches the children close to her as shards hurl previous her. Sharp pieces land on the couch, her shoulders, in her hair. I start moving.

“Don’t.”

It’s too late. I’m already at the door, pushing via it, charging into the woods. The air is colder than it should be this time of year. I see my breath and start to shake. The forest is still, quiet. I hear branches smash and I trot towards the sound.

“Hey,” I yell. “Come out. Now. I favor a word with you.”

I locate him, a shadow figure, taller than me, broad shouldered, hobbling away from the house.

“Come here.” I chase after him. “I favor to speak to you.”

He dodges via trees, lumbering on his correct leg, leading me in a zigzag pattern. He’s making an attempt to get me lost, get me grew to become round so he can conk me on the head. I burst onto the shore. The lake is in front of me, a substantial shadow of black water. On the seaside is a message. He’d carved it in the sand.

No comments